Sunday, May 4, 2014

Memory game

This memory game is so easy and quick to set up. You can use objects to enhance a topic/theme you are covering, favourite toys or even magnetic letters or numbers.
This game is great for developing memory, recollection, concentration and cooperation skills.

Who can play?
This game is aimed for children aged 3 years plus, however all activities depend on the child's age and stage of development.

What do you need?

  • Tray
  • 4 objects to start with and when your child gets confident with guessing which item has been taken away, increase the challenge by adding 2 more at a time
  • Towel/piece of material to cover up the tray
What did we do?

  1.  Place 4 objects on a tray. I used spring themed objects, such as a chick, egg, flower and a lamb small world figure.
  2. Bee and I looked at the objects on the tray, said them out loud and counted them.
  3. I told Bee that I was going to cover the items with a tea towel and take one away. When I had removed an object I would ask her which one she thought was missing.
  4. I placed the tea towel on top of the items and quickly took one away, hiding it behind my back, before she could see it.
  5. Whilst removing the towel, I asked Bee to recall the item I had taken away... to my surprise she did. To increase the challenge, the next time around I added a small bunny and a ribbon.
  6. Towards the end of the activity, Bee asked if she could be the one who took away the objects and I had to recall... of course I agreed and we spent another 10 minutes playing the game.
Here you can see the game set up. A towel covered the tray and I removed an object... Can you guess which one? 
We added two more objects to increase the challenge.


What did we learn?
  • Communication and language-Talking about what objects she sees and thinks has gone missing. Recalling items that have been removed.
  • Physical development- Fine manipulative when picking up and removing objects from the group.
  • Personal, social and emotional- Making relationships, cooperating and social skills when playing the game and taking turns. Developing memory skills.
  • Mathematics-Counting objects that are on the tray and been taken away.

What could be done next?

  • Instead of using a tea towel, you could use an eye mask to make sure the child does not see the object you have removed.
  • If your child enjoyed this memory game, you could play 'I went to the shops and bought' game. This is where you start off by saying "I went to the shops and bought an apple" The next person adds one more object, for instance "I went to the shops and bought an apple and a carrot" Carry on adding one item, until one player cannot recall all the objects
  • Play object finding games such as eye spy.




No comments:

Post a Comment