This is a great creative activity that also promotes important physical skills. Your child will develop their fine manipulative skills when folding the paper and promoting scissor skills too.
Who can play?
Children aged 3 and above. With all activities it depends on their age and stage of development.
Supervision is needed at all times, when children are using scissors. Ensure that battery operated lights are used instead of real tea-lights. This will prevent fires and the burning of little fingers.
What do you need?
- Paper (preferably red)
- Gold glitter (or any other glitter you have available)
- Battery operated tea-light
- Cut a 1 inch strip from the top of a piece of A4 card/paper. We will use this later for the handle on the lantern.
- Fold the paper/card vertically in half and make cuts going from the fold to around one inch from the top of the paper. I made my cuts around one inch apart.
- Unfold the paper and decorate with markers, glue and gold glitter.
- Once the glue has dried and you are happy with your final product, bring both side together and attach with tape or as mentioned before staple together and place a piece of tape over the staple, so as not to cut little fingers.
- Tape the 1 inch strip you cut out earlier in the activity and attach both sides to the lantern.
- All that is left now is to turn on your battery operated candle, place inside and enjoy how the light shines through it. Happy Chinese New Year!
Physical- Fine manipulative skills whilst developing scissor skills, hand eye coordination.
Personal, Social and Emotional- Fun and enjoyment. Pride from finished product. Working on a project as a team. Contributing to the family.
Communication and Language- Following and listening to instructions. Discussing what they are doing.
Literacy- Developing their tripod grip (that is needed for writing) when drawing and attaching tape to their lantern.
- Use the Lanterns as a center piece for your Chinese New Year themed meal/party
- Hang the Lanterns on a string to decorate your room or garden.
- Experiment with different ways of making and decorating lanterns.
- Try painting your lantern instead of glue and glitter